Top 10 Cool and Unusual Activities in Sacramento
Plan your family’s next adventure in Sacramento and make awesome lasting memories
By Professional Organizer, Kim Salisbury
Sacramento, California is a great place to spend time with your family during the summer. The city offers plenty of opportunities to explore the great outdoors, learn something new, and have fun as a family. If you’re looking for something a bit off the beaten path, here are my top 10 cool & unusual activities in Sacramento, CA this summer. (not in any specific order of preference 🙂
1. Visit the Museum of Medical HistoryThis museum hosted by the Sierra Sacramento Valley Medical Society is not for the faint of heart. It features a vast array of medical instruments and equipment from the past, including some quite grisly surgical tools. It provides an unusual, if somewhat macabre, look into the history of medicine. More Info
2. See the Largest Collection of Antique Radios at the California Antique Phonograph SocietyThis may not be your typical museum experience, but it is undoubtedly unique. Explore an impressive collection of antique radios, phonographs, and related items. You can see old Edison phonographs, rare Victrola’s, and more, taking you back to the origins of audio technology. More Info
3. Explore the Haunted Sacramento Theatre CompanyKnown as the most haunted place in Sacramento, the Sacramento Theatre Company offers ghost tours led by experienced ghost hunters. They will tell you about the various sightings of ghosts, such as a former stagehand and the ‘Lady in Grey’ who supposedly haunts the premise. More Info
4. Journey into the Past with Underground Tours in Old SacramentoThese tours take you into the original city that was buried and built over following floods in the 1860s. The guide, dressed in period attire, will lead you through hollow sidewalks, sloped alleyways, and the underground spaces themselves, all while sharing captivating stories about the West’s wild era. More Info
5. Join a Séance at the California Magic ClubThis magic dinner theatre provides a delightful evening of magic, comedy, and dinner. What sets it apart is the opportunity to participate in a séance where illusionists will attempt to contact spirits from the beyond. More Info
6. Attend the Sacramento Zombie WalkUsually held in August, this event sees hundreds of people dressing up as the undead and walking (or shuffling) through the streets of Sacramento. It’s a strange sight indeed, but lots of fun if you’re into the zombie genre. More Info
7. Discover the Peculiarities at the Folsom Prison Museum
This museum, adjacent to the famous prison, houses a collection of oddities such as handmade weapons confiscated from inmates, Johnny Cash memorabilia (he famously performed there), and old photographs. It’s a weird, yet interesting, insight into prison life.
8. Walk the Car Cemetery at Turner’s Auto WreckingWhile it might sound a bit grim, Turner’s Auto Wrecking is a sight to behold. Acres of old cars, some dating back to the 1920s, are laid out in a type of graveyard. It’s an intriguing, albeit somewhat eerie, walk down automotive memory lane. More Info
9. Wander Around the Davis Cemetery District and Arboretum
A cemetery may seem like a peculiar place to visit, but the Davis Cemetery is also an arboretum, hosting an impressive variety of trees and plants. It’s an unusual but peaceful place for a walk, with the added bonus of local history and botanical beauty.